The Family Support Resource Center for Special Education provides resources for parents, educators and the community that will benefit all students with disabilities.
Resources include videos and books on topics related to disabilities and parenting, evening and daytime trainings with highly qualified speakers on topics that are pressing to parents, support for parents to understand their child’s Individualized Education Program (IEP) or Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP) and a connection between the school and community.
The Family Support Resource Center helps families assist in accessing services for their children. The center also provides skills and knowledge that will enable families of children with disabilities, ages birth to 21, to work as equal partners with professionals in the educational decision-making process.
Services and activities provided through the Family Support Resource Center include but are not limited to:
• Maintaining and strengthening communication and connections between parents and schools
• Providing training, workshops, and support groups
• Hosting evening workshops to inform and support parents on issues they feel they need more information on.
• Offering support to parents who need someone to talk to in a supportive, confidential way
• Supporting parents through the IEP process to help them fully understand their child’s IEP.
• Supporting parents to help them understand and make informed decisions between extended IFSPs and IEPs.
The Family Support Resource Center maintains a lending library of books, videos, articles and newsletters on a variety of special education topics such as:
• Special Education Law
• Educational Ideals
• Specific Disabilities
• IEPs and IFSPs
• Support Groups
• Anger Management
• Recreational Activities
• Parenting Skills
Section Chief, Family Support Services
Maryland State Department of Education
Division of Early Intervention
and Special Education Services
Family Support Services: Resource Centers for Families and Schools are partnerships between the local school system and the Maryland State Department of Education.
The Family Support Resource Center is located at Kent County Middle School,
402 E. Campus Ave., Chestertown
Hours for the Family Support
Resource Center are:
• Mondays, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• Tuesdays, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• Wednesdays, 12:30 to 4 p.m.
• Thursdays, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• Fridays, 9 a.m. to noon
To make an appointment, call
If Kent County Public Schools is closed, the Family Support Resource Center also is closed.